Reservation
107 Sacramento Street, Nevada City, CA 95959 530.265.5050

TableBooking








    AfterThe Gold Rush.

    In 1882, George Gehrig, a local businessman, hired Italian stonemasons and Chinese laborers to construct a building up the street from the blacksmith’s shop.  While the architect, builder, and engineer are unknown, the three-story structure was constructed from locally quarried granite blocks. The stone and wood building is 10,000 sq ft in size.

    Antique fixtures came from the Sarah and John Kidder home in Grass Valley, California.  An owner of the brewery believed that the carved wooden doors were also from the Kidder mansion.

    Construction included a storage cave dug into the hillside, used for aging casks of ale.  It was accessed from inside the building during the time the building covered a space that’s now the patio area.  The cave had been connected to other parts of the city via tunnels that were filled in almost a hundred years later when California Route 49 became a freeway.

    After being vacant for more than two decades, the building was reopened as The Old Brewery with crafted beer and food. It was renovated in 2004 and opened as the Stonehouse Restaurant, featuring an 1884 back-bar from Chicago, Illinois.  In 2008-2010, the Stonehouse Hospitality Academy opened and trained many students who serve the community.

    In early 2016, Jonathan Rowe purchased the building with a new vision that would continue its legacy.